Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sometimes this really sucks!

Amy's arms

Most the time I count my blessings that Amy just has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and not something more. And most the time I count my blessings that there is medication to help treat it. And most the time I am so thankful the medicine is working and she doesn't have too many side affects. But, sometimes the whole thing sucks. One of those times was today. We went in for her regular, every other month, blood test we do before she sees her Rheumatologist. The doctors have to watch her liver because of the Methotrexate...and her kidneys because of all the ibuprofen she takes. The dreaded conversation started the second we drove into the parking lot this time...sometimes , if I'm lucky, it doesn't start until the waiting room.

Amy: "We are going for you...not me...right mommy? I don't need to go anymore...I'm not sick...your sick...right mommy?"

Me: "Lets just go in and give the ladies our papers." (me trying not to lie)

Amy: "okay...but it's your turn, not mine."

Receptionist: "Amy Jensen"

Amy: "No mommy....I don't want to!"

Here is the scene....I am holding Amy on my lap, with my arms around her holding her right arm so she doesn't try and defend herself from getting a foreign object shoved into her arm. One phlebotomist holding her other arm straight and still while another shoves the the needle in her arm. I watch and pray that I see a jet of blood inter the tub each time, which indicates that they found the vain with no trouble. This time...no luck. She moves it and moves it and moves it...while Amy cries, "no mommy...no mommy...no mommy". Immediately I start in with, "do you want donut holes or a chocolate donut with sprinkles?" (a must after a blood test) Nothing worked...after two more phlebotomist attempt to find the vain on that arm...they moved to the other arm. Luckily...they found it.

Amy's closing remarks on the way to the Donut Wheel...."no more...(sob sob) two shots...(sob sob) mommy...(sob sob) next time...(sob sob) I get to....(sob sob) put the needle in their arms...(sob sob)."

Sometimes this really sucks!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Ah...Amy, I hurt for you. What a tough thing to do for any kid. You handle it really well, though, Trish. Amy's lucky to have mom who's so calm, rational, and able to put things into perspective. And every other month when she has to go and get stuck...it's ok for it to SUCK! Cause, let's be honest, it does.

Shannon and Cameron said...

Oh poor girl!! What a sad thing!!

roylancemommy said...

Poor baby and momma! But hey, eating yummy donuts is such a comfort :)